Sunday, April 26, 2009

True Story

I was just talking with HP technical support in the Philippines. We were talking about how globalization, specifically NAFTA, had hurt Mexico.

I told him how the building of factories there displaced many Mexican farmers, and how they hired farmers and other workers. Things were good for a time, but when they found cheaper labor in China they moved business out of Mexico to China leaving destroyed farm land, and jobless workers.

He said the same thing happened in the Philippines when they found cheaper labor in India. I told him how the same thing has happened in the U.S.

1 comment:

RC said...

Melanie writes:
Good ol' global greed. It's not just America anymore, but every country.

Roma writes:
True Melanie. You know I do not think he believed me when I told him this was happening in America too. I think other countries believe all Americans greedy in that we all benifit from their suffering with cheaper products to consume.

Such half truths have gaven rise to many like Che Rivera (freedom fighter by Argentinians, and terrorist by American's viewpoint) in the 1960's.